mmmm Apple cake. You will definitely want to put the kettle on, recline in your favourite chair and enjoy a slice of this tasty little gem while the leaves fall outside.
- 1kg golden delicious apples (or granny smith for some extra tang) washed and cut into chunks.
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 cup of walnuts – chopped
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 Tbs vanilla essence
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 tsp allspice powder
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- In a large bowl add apples, ground almonds, desiccated coconut, 3/4 cup of walnuts and spices and stir to combine.
- Whisk together the eggs, honey and butter until well combined.
- Pour into your bowl and mix well with the apple mixture.
- Place the mix into a 23cm springform pan ensuring that the mix is packed evenly throughout.
- Top with the 1/4 cup remainder walnuts.
- Bake for around 75mins. To ensure cake is cooked through check after 60mins and adjust temperature and time if needed or add baking paper on top if it is browning too much.
- Let it cool in the tin before removing.