The Egg Slice, Veggie Egg Casserole or Vegetable Frittata. Whatever you call it, it is undeniably one of our most well loved recipes. This is a versatile recipe in that you can mix and match ingredients. i.e. change the cheese to a Feta or Blue; add pumpkin, zucchini or squash; The ingredients aren’t the only things that are versatile with this recipe – you can pour the mixture into a muffin tin to make smaller individual servings or bake in a round or square casserole dish. We’ve even made this in a cast iron pan. We hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do!
Vegetable Frittata Recipe
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 tsp Garlic, minced
1 Red Bell Pepper (Capsicum), finely chopped
200g Mushrooms, chopped/sliced
1 bunch of Broccolini, chopped *Can replace with spinach or fresh greens (we’ve used other vegetables as well. The recipe is versatile.)
2 tbsp Whole Milk * Can replace with cream or non-diary milk/water if you prefer
3/4 cup)Cheddar Cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Dried Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 220c / 425f
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, cheese, herbs and seasoning.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for approx 5 mins. Add the bell pepper (capsicum) and mushrooms and cook for a further minute. Add the broccolini and cook for a further min. Stir in the spinach/fresh greens.
- Give your egg mixture a final whisk and pour the mixture over the vegetables. Stir briefly to distribute the mixture evenly across the pan.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for approx 8-10 mins, ideally, you should take the frittata out of the oven when the middle still has a SLIGHT jiggle to it or when it is just set and no more.
- Cool in the pan for 5 mins and then slice and serve.