Easy Trifle Recipe
What are you if you’ve got sponge cake in one ear and jelly and custard in the other? Why, a trifle deaf of course!
In case you’re missing dinner and dessert made for you each night on tour, I thought I’d share my easy trifle recipe with you. Don’t get your hopes up that I’m going to drop by and make it, you’ll have to do that yourself. This will feed about 8 people, double it if you’ve got a big mob. Or someone that loves trifle as much as Julie did on the Pilbara trip….
So when I was growing up I thought lamingtons and trifle were made with mum’s stale sponge cake, and so I wasn’t a fan of either. Little did I know and how times have changed… I’m now making trifle out bush! And what’s more, I like it! Dead easy and even easier when you’re not bouncing up and down the Gibb River Road.
- 1 x Jam roll sponge cake from the supermarket.
- Jelly crystals – one packet. I use port wine flavour (just because I like the idea of port).
- Custard powder, milk (uht or milk powder is ok too) and a bit of sugar. (Or buy a pre made box but they’re pretty sweet).
- Small tin each of mango slices, cherries and passionfruit. Or other fruit if you prefer.
- Whipping cream – 300ml is heaps
A couple of hints that may or may not be relevant depending on where you are:
Make the jelly a day or so in advance when you don’t have to move camp so it can set without going all through the fridge on the corrugations. Same for the custard, and I use a lot less sugar because everything else is sweet anyway. As for quantity, well I just guess.
- Make jelly the day before (see hint above)
- Make custard the day before
- Cut the jam roll cake into approx 1 cm slices. Put one layer in a big bowl and generously drizzle sherry over it.
- Chuck in some jelly, some custard and some of the fruit (save the passionfruit for the top)
- Repeat with the remainder of the cake, sherry, jelly, custard and fruit. Ooh, not a whole bottle of sherry by the way!
- Top with the passionfruit
- Whip some cream, serve and eat!
And in case you think this is not a proper trifle because it’s a pre-made cake and stuff like that, I reckon cheating is acceptable out bush. Particularly when the bowl is empty afterwards!