If you were one of the lucky walkers and cyclers to have been on a tour with our guide Calvin when he made his classic Banoffee Pie and you’ve been thinking about the deliciousness since, look no further. We have Calvin’s recipe here – my mouth is watering just looking at the photos. Can’t wait to give this a try this weekend. For those of you who have not had the chance to be on tour with Calvin but love a good Banoffee, read on!
For the pie base:
- 1 cup crumbed digestive biscuits/cookies (Marie or Granita biscuits also work nicely)
- 7 tablespoons (100g) butter, melted
For the filling:
- 3 ripe Bananas, sliced
- 2 cups (400g) dulce de leche *see notes below to make your own
For the topping:
- 1½ cups (360ml) heavy cream, cold
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cacao powder, chocolate shavings and or fresh banana slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- In a food processor or a Ziploc bag crush the biscuits into fine crumbs. Add melted butter and pulse/mix until combined. Press into bottom and sides of 9-inch (23cm) pie/tart pan. Bake for 5-7 minutes. remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Spread dulce de leche on top of the crust. Arrange banana slices in 1-2 layers on top of the dulce de leche. *See notes below to make your own
- In a large bowl place cold heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whip to medium peaks.
- Spread whipped cream on top of the bananas. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving garnish with fresh banana slices and or chocolate powder/shavings.
- If you don’t have dulce de leche, you can make it at home with the following two methods:
- Option 1 – place a can of sweetened condensed milk a pot of boiling water, making sure the whole can cover with water all the time, boil for 2 hours, then let cool.
- Option 2 – place condensed milk (2 cans), brown sugar (150 grams) and butter (150 grams) in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 10-12 minutes or until caramel thickens (do not boil).
- Use immediately or store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week. If using immediately, pour the hot caramel evenly over the cookie base. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.