Pumpkin Spice Cake
Nothing says Christmas more than Pumpkin Spice Cake! I hope this recipe finds a place amongst all the delicious food you are making this holiday season.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 70 minutes
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 cup mashed butternut pumpkin, chilled (see Notes)
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Australian pecans,
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 225g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups (360g) sugar,
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup, coarsely chopped, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Stir in the pumpkin along with the dry ingredients including flour, cinnamon, mixed spice until combined. Fold in the buttermilk, vanilla extract and pecans.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 70 minutes or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla. Beat until combined. If you wish to make the frosting more thicker, add extra sugar until the desired consistency is met.
- Spread frosting over the cake. Sprinkle with pecans.